Most Personal Finance Bloggers cite the now famous quote “I’ve spent $40,000 on shoes, and I have no place to live. I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!
This does put a fashionista’s life in perspective, but there are a few more life lessons to be learned from SATC. Here are a few from my list:
1. Guard you reputation. Remember when Samantha almost didn’t get the job with Richard Wright because he thought she acted inappropriately? We have to be extra careful with all the social media that we use; put something on Facebook and the like, that is embarrassing and anyone can find it. Be it your perspective employer, mother- in-law or even your future husband. Rule of thumb – don’t put anything in the public arena that you would not want you sweet grandmother to read. It WILL come back to haunt you.
This rule goes as far as to what you should not charge on you credit card, as told by How I Save Money. Who would have thought going to a discount store could count against you?
2. Back up your info. Carrie’s motherboard dies and she loses all her information because she didn’t back up. It so easy to build backing up into your monthly or biweekly routine.
3. Karma – what goes around comes around so be nice. This was quite vividly explained in the episode where Carrie gets mugged.
4. Mix it up – Carrie wore more crazy outfits than you can shake a stick at and in so many of them Pat Field mixed expensive designer with thrift shop finds. I am also loving Forever 21 for hyper inexpensive fun accessories. How can you go wrong with a feathered headband at $5?
5. Don’t buy it if you can’t afford it – how many times in the series are Carrie’s financial troubles a main theme in the story. If you can’t afford it don’t buy it, sorry I had to say it again.